2.01.2010

What is Mood??

Mood, as defined by Webster's Dictionary, is as follows:
noun-1 : a conscious state of mind or predominant emotion : feeling; also : the expression of mood especially in art or literature
2 archaic : a fit of anger : rage
3 a : a prevailing attitude : disposition b : a receptive state of mind predisposing to action c : a distinctive atmosphere or context : aura

Think about how much your mood affects your day to day life. If you are in a bad mood, everything seems to be going wrong...you feel like you just can't catch a break. When you're in a bad mood, what is it that you most often crave? In my life, its junk food, i.e. chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream or dark chocolate. I usually don't feel like cooking or preparing anything, and I just want to lay around and gorge on the two aforementioned foods. However, when I'm in a good mood, the one thing that I crave the most is champagne, and I always indulge myself. Everyday is worth celebrating, and I'm definitely not opposing to a glass of champagne whenever I feel like it. Of course, I save the expensive stuff for the real celebrating, but nothing caps off the end of my day like a glass of Cristalino (introduced to me by one of my best friends). Not only is it good, its cheap, usually $7.99 at most liquor stores.

Good moods usually equal good meals. Tonight for example, I am going to make seared scallops on a bed of spring lettuce with Lemon Tarragon Vinaigrette because I'm happy. As I type I am drinking a glass of champagne with some Cassis liquor, C'est Magnifique!! On the days your in a bad mood, you have no one to blame but yourself. YOU control your mood, so let food help!! If I were to make seared scallops with spring mix and champagne when I was in a bad mood, I would most undoubtedly become in a great mood! How could this meal not make someone happy :)


Seared Scallops, goat cheese, balsamic glazed new potatoes, turkey bacon, and lemon tarragon vinaigrette. I had planned to add walnuts and red onion, but I was out of both!


Cooking shouldn't be a chore, it should be mood enhancing, fun and delicious experience. Think of how your food could alter others moods?!? Let's use Valentine's Day as an example, because don't forget...it's just around the corner. Forget the tacky heart shaped boxes of chocolate, and even the flowers that will die within the week...make dinner for the one you love (or the one you hope to start loving in the future ;) ). As cheesy and lame as a candlelit dinner can be, it can also put that special someone in just the right mood. On top of that, it's also a money saver! Going out to eat on Valentine's Day = menu items with extremely inflated prices...add in drinks, valet, flowers, chocolate, etc. and it's an easy $200 if you do it right. Cut that in half and make it extra personal and romantic by staying in. I'm serious, if someone cooked me dinner on Valentine's they'd be set. It shows you care and that you are putting an effort into that person and the way you feel, even if its just friendly...it matters.

I'm thinking about posting a couple of easy, economically friendly, and, dare I say, senusal recipes for Valentine's Day if anyone is interested.

3 comments:

  1. cooking is a chore for me...whats a cousan to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i am interested in recipes-please & thank you. ryne would appreciate too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come visit me I guess :)

    I will post recipes by the end of the week ;)

    ReplyDelete